I was the biggest skeptic when it came to affirmations. I couldn’t believe that standing in front of a mirror and talking to myself would help me overcome anxiety but I was up for trying anything to overcome my social anxiety.
However, standing in front of a mirror and reciting my affirmations didn’t feel right. Instead of feeling positive and enlightened, I felt uncomfortable. So I gave up on affirmations.
I took the time to make affirmations work for me and after finding my own way to use affirmations, I have seen a huge decrease in my anxiety. Don’t get me wrong, I still feel anxious but affirmations have greatly helped me reduce my day to day anxiety and stop feelings of anxiety in their tracks.
What Are Affirmations
So, what are affirmations?
Affirmations are words or phrases that encourage positive thinking and self empowerment. When affirmations are repeated everyday, your mind begins to see them as facts. This means if you tell yourself everyday that you are confident, eventually you will become a confident person.
That sounds pretty straight forward but you have to believe in your affirmation. At the beginning, it will be difficult but as you repeat your affirmations you’ll begin to believe them.
Benefits Of Affirmations For Anxiety
- They motivate you
- They change your mindset and the way you think
- They eliminate feelings of doubt and insecurity
- They can open you up to new possibilities
- They provide a distraction to anxious feelings
Before we move onto the list, please note that affirmations are not a cure for anxiety but they can be a highly effective coping strategy.
How I Use Affirmations For Anxiety
People use affirmations differently and you may use your affirmations for anxiety differently to me. However, hopefully by sharing how I use affirmations to overcome anxiety I can inspire you to start using affirmations.
I am a big advocate for journaling and I journal in both the morning and the evening. As part of my morning journal routine, I use affirmations.
Some people speak affirmations in front of a mirror but to be completely transparent with you, I have never felt comfortable doing that. Instead, I write down a few affirmations every morning that I feel I need to channel that day.
If I wake up feeling stressed and overwhelmed, I write down affirmations related to overcoming feelings of stress. These affirmations stay in my mind throughout the day and when I hit a high anxiety situation, I mentally repeat my affirmations to myself.
Not all the affirmations in the list below will suit you and your anxiety but choose 3-5 that resonate with you and try journaling them every morning.
ps. keep reading for my favorite resource for overcoming anxiety!
20 Affirmations To Get You Started
- I am in control
- I am strong
- I am not alone in my struggles
- I know that these feelings will fade
- I can take things one step at a time
- Anxiety does not define me
- Thoughts are just visitors, let them come and go
- I have everything I need to overcome my anxiety
- I have the power to live my dreams and achieve my goals
- I love myself more with each passing day
- I am confident in myself and my abilities
- I can do this and I will do this
- My will to be calm is more powerful than my anxiety
- I grow stronger each time I overcome my anxiety
- There is more to me than this battle
- I am not alone
- I do not need to feel scared
- I look toward the future with hope
- I have the power to control my breathing
- I am letting go of my worries and fears
Bonus – Social Anxiety To Social Success Ebook
Social Anxiety To Social Success is an Ebook by the wonderful blogger Kelly Jean.
Kel blogs at Anxious Lass about mental health with a focus on social anxiety. She talks about her own experiences living and overcoming social anxiety.
Social Success To Social Anxiety is a step-by-step guide to managing your social anxiety. It is 32 pages of mindset advice and challenges to help you overcome social anxiety. This amazing ebook also comes with pretty, printable A4 worksheets and a bonus 5 page PDF Conversation Mini Guide complete with conversation prompts.
As someone who struggles with social anxiety, I found Kels ebook refreshingly honest. Her candid approach to social anxiety is written with honesty and humor that feels like a friend talking to you.
Social Anxiety to Social Success is currently £8.00 (usually £16.00) so make sure to get your copy today!